[WiX-users] Merge modules again...
Christer Solskogen
2006-10-27 07:03:15 UTC
I'm trying to understand how merge modules work. The MSI file is
created, but light produces some warnings I dont understand.

For instance:

light.exe : warning LGHT1076 : ICE25: Possible dependency failure as we
do not find ***@0 v in
ModuleSignature table

D:\devel\Era3D\wix\Era3D.wxs(52) : warning LGHT1055 : The
InstallExecuteSequence table contains an action 'SxsUninstallCA' which
cannot be merged from the merge module
'wix\merge/Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86.msm'. This action is likely colliding
with an action in the database that is being created. The colliding
action may have been authored in the database or merged in from another
merge module. If this is a standard action, it is likely colliding due
to a difference in the condition for the action in the database and
merge module. If this is a custom action, it should only be declared in
the database or one merge module.

light.exe : warning LGHT1076 : ICE82: This action
SystemFolder.9BAE13A2_E7AF_D6C3_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E has duplicate sequence
number 1 in the table InstallExecuteSequence

How do I resolve those issues?

I've only added this to my wxs:
<Merge Id='VC80_MFC' SourceFile='merge/Microsoft_VC80_DebugMFC_x86.msm'
DiskId='1' Language='1033' />
<Merge Id='VC80_ATL' SourceFile='merge/Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm'
DiskId='1' Language='1033' />

<Feature...>
<MergeRef Id='VC80_ATL' />
<MergeRef Id='VC80_MFC' />
</Feature>
chs
Rob Mensching
2006-10-27 15:03:53 UTC
1. Dependency failure: This warning is telling you that you have a Merge Module that depends on another Merge Module but you did not include the second Merge Module. I don't know much about the new ATL Merge Modules, but it would appear the core Merge Module requires a second policy module. You probably want to fix this one.

2. Collision failure: This warning is telling you that the two Merge Modules contain the same CustomAction name but only one of the CustomActions is being included. I happen to know how this CustomAction came about (argued that they should create it for a long time) and you can safely ignore this warning. It is lame and I'm sorry.

3. Duplicate sequence: This warning is telling you that you have two (or more) CustomActions all trying to run at the same time. The order of execution is non-deterministic. You will get this when merging in a couple Modules that all have a bunch of standard directories in them due to the way that mergemod.dll handles these things. This is also pretty lame but this particular instance of the warning can be safely ignored because it doesn't matter what order these CustomActions run.

Christer Solskogen
2006-10-30 07:15:45 UTC
Post by Rob Mensching
[...]
Thanks for you reply, I managed to fix the Dependency problem.
Still I get some other warnings now:

light.exe : warning LGHT1076 : ICE30: The target file
'ansiatl.dll|ATL80.dll' might be installed in '[SystemFolder]' by two
different conditionalized components on an LFN system:
'ansi_atl80.97F81AF1_0E47_DC99_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E' and
'nosxs.97F81AF1_0E47_DC99_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E'. If the conditions are not
mutually exclusive, this will break the component reference counting system.
(I get this error twice)

and

light.exe : warning LGHT1076 : ICE83: The keypath for Global Win32 SXS
Assembly (Component_=uplevel.66332652_9C28_58B1_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E)
SHOULD NOT be it's manifest file for assemblies other than Win32 Policy
assemblies
light.exe : warning LGHT1076 : ICE83: The keypath for Global Win32 SXS
Assembly (Component_=uplevel.63E949F6_03BC_5C40_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E)
SHOULD NOT be it's manifest file for assemblies other than Win32 Policy
assemblies
light.exe : warning LGHT1076 : ICE83: The keypath for Global Win32 SXS
Assembly (Component_=uplevel.68B7C6D9_1DF2_54C1_FF1F_C8B3B9A1E18E)
SHOULD NOT be it's manifest file for assemblies other than Win32 Policy
assemblies

Also the application does not start, blaming ATL.

This is a cut'n'paste from my wxs-file:
<?ifdef release ?>
<Merge Id='CRT' Language='1033' SourceFile='Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm'
DiskId='1' />
<Merge Id='MFC' Language='1033' SourceFile='Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86.msm'
DiskId='1' />
<?else ?>
<Merge Id='CRT' Language='1033'
SourceFile='Microsoft_VC80_DebugCRT_x86.msm' DiskId='1'/>
<Merge Id='MFC' Language='1033'
SourceFile='Microsoft_VC80_DebugMFC_x86.msm' DiskId='1' />
<?endif ?>
<Merge Id='ATL' Language='1033' SourceFile='Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm'
DiskId='1' />
<Merge Id='ATL_policy' Language='1033'
SourceFile='policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm' DiskId='1' />
<Merge Id='CRT_policy' Language='1033'
SourceFile='policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm' DiskId='1' />
<Merge Id='MFC_policy' Language='1033'
SourceFile='policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_MFC_x86.msm' DiskId='1' />
<MergeRef Id='ATL' />
<MergeRef Id='CRT' />
<MergeRef Id='MFC' />
<MergeRef Id='ATL_policy' />
<MergeRef Id='CRT_policy' />
<MergeRef Id='MFC_policy' />

If anyone has a working template for how to include those merge file
I'll be very happy.
I'm also under the impression that this works as it should in Wix2. All
of the examples I've seen on the net using these merge files use this code.
chs
Christer Solskogen
2006-10-30 08:50:36 UTC
Post by Christer Solskogen
Also the application does not start, blaming ATL.
This is bullshit. This is what we call PEBKAC.
Despite all the warnings the merge modules work now.
chs
Wilson, Phil
2006-10-27 16:26:10 UTC
Those merge modules are dependent upon the corresponding policy merge
modules, such as policy_8_0_Microsoft_VC80_ATL_x86.msm.

Phil Wilson

[...]

-
security?
easier Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache
Geronimo

-