[WiX-users] Chaining .NET 3.5 in Burn
Thomas Due
2014-01-08 11:56:53 UTC

I am currently looking into Burn, and have a question. Our application is still using .NET 3.5, and although we fully intend to update to .NET 4.5, we are not quite ready for that yet.
It seems that Burn only supports Chaining .NET 4.0 or newer.
Is that correct, or is there a way of chaining .NET 3.5?

Best regards,
Thomas Due  - Software Developer
Rob Mensching
2014-01-08 15:53:53 UTC
People have successfully chained in NETFX 3.5 on this mailing list. It's more of a pain thanks to decisions Windows made.

2014-01-08 17:28:48 UTC
While this is not an MSI chain, I did the following in a bootstrapper as I
needed to make sure vcredist_x86 was installed before something else in the
program setup:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi"
xmlns:util="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/UtilExtension">
<Fragment>
<util:RegistrySearch Root="HKLM"
Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x86"
Value="Installed" Variable="vcredist_x86" />
<util:RegistrySearch Root="HKLM"
Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\VC\VCRedist\x64"
Value="Installed" Variable="vcredist_x64" />
<PackageGroup Id="vcredist">
<ExePackage Id="vcredist_x86"
Cache="no"
Compressed="yes"
PerMachine="yes"
Permanent="yes"
Vital="yes"
Name="vcredist_x86.exe"
SourceFile="vcredist_x86.exe"
InstallCommand="/q"
DetectCondition="vcredist_x86 AND (vcredist_x86 &gt;= 1)">
<!-- <ExitCode Value ="3010" Behavior="forceReboot" /> -->
</ExePackage>

<!--
<ExePackage Id="vcredist_x64"
Cache="no"
Compressed="yes"
PerMachine="yes"
Permanent="yes"
Vital="yes"
Name="vcredist_x64.exe"
SourceFile="vcredist_x64.exe"
InstallCommand="/q"
InstallCondition="VersionNT64"
DetectCondition="vcredist_x64 AND (vcredist_x64 &gt;= 1)">
<ExitCode Value ="3010" Behavior="forceReboot" />
</ExePackage>
-->
</PackageGroup>
</Fragment>
</Wix>

Brian

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. -
Albert Einstein
Phill Hogland
2014-01-10 20:12:42 UTC
Niel provides the infor in his blog.
http://neilsleightholm.blogspot.com/2012/05/wix-burn-tipstricks.html

Thomas Due
2014-01-13 07:42:51 UTC
Thank you :)

Med venlig hilsen / Best regards,
Thomas Due  - Software Developer
Tel: +45 8678 5500 Fax: +45 8678 5210
Johann Gutenbergs vej 5-9, Aarhus N, Denmark
***@scanvaegt.dk | www.scanvaegt.dk

This e-mail and its attachments are intended for the named addressee only and may contain information that is confidential and privileged. Unauthorized use can instigate a claim for damages and constitute a criminal offence. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material.